Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Me Mine

I am always looking for ways to "get noticed" on the web. In order to build a client base, one has to be able to be found.

I am not a "big name" in Wilmington. My ancestory has not been established in Clinton County for generations, which is a big plus in a little place. So it is a hard scrabble existence to get your name out there so when people are contemplating the big jump to buying or selling a home they think of me.

In this age of growing technology, the common wisdom in the real estate publications is to use the web use the web use the web. It is common knowledge that most people start with the internet before doing anything, big or little. Researching their next car purchase, researching their next toilet paper purchase, or actually making said purchase.

Real estate especially. Who hasn't heard of Realtor. com. Most people, wherever they may currently reside, start with Realtor.com. Unfortunate really, since it is not the most user friendly website. In a startling turn of events a few years ago, the Cincinnati MLS chose to remove their public search site and only retain the private website for the use by realtors. This put a great burden on the small brokerages because who ever heard of Bennett Realty unless you live in the area? So most people don't start by looking for individual websites. They go to Realtor.com.

The flip side of that coin is that the Division of Real Estate in Ohio made it legal for any brokerage to post any other brokerages listings on their website. That is why, when you click on the Cincinnati or Dayton MLS link at the bottom of this page you will be directed to a search engine that takes you to all listings, be they Bennett Realty, ReMax or Sibcy Cline. Hopefully, at that point, you will call Bennett Realty when you find a home that appeals to you.

Or maybe not.

Competition is fierce these days. So in an effort to get myself noticed, I have used the moniker of "Ukulele Realtor" to help set myself off from the rest of the pack. "Ukulele Realtor" because I play the ukulele. (And no, ukuleles are not the first cousins of the kazoo. And no, I do not play Hawaiian music. I play rock, country, folk, old standards. And yes, I do play "Tiptoe Through the Tulips.)

So, Google me using Ukulele Realtor and voila! There I am.

Cool!

No comments: