Wednesday, October 3, 2007

There Is a Place

A little known factoid about presenting an offer on a property on the behalf of your client is that it can suck.

Case in point. While on phone time last week I got a call from a couple wanting to see one of Bennett Realty's listings. I showed them the home on Saturday and they put in an offer on it on Tuesday, the day before they were to leave on vacation. We opted to get the offer put in as soon as possible just in case someone else should come along and want to make an offer. However, I was not overly concerned because the home had been on the market since May and there had not been much interest.

Guess what. Now someone else wants to show it.

Call me superstitious but I have always held to the notion that as soon as you want something, someone else is going to want the same thing.

The price of the property is not the big bug-a-boo. The problem lies in the contingencies and the fact that now my people are out of town. They want estimates for new siding so they can decide if the home can be made maintenance free at a price they are willing to budget for. I am responsible for setting up the appointments for the contractors to give estimates, no problem. But as we all know, these things do not happen overnight.

If this new showing should result in another offer, then we would be in a multiple offer situation. At that point, both parties would have the chance to give their best offer but cannot know the offer of the other party. I called and explained this to my clients and, as previously alluded to, they really do not know me and really have no reason to believe me.

And that is just the feeling I got when I got the response, "But how do we know there really is another offer." What do I say? "Trust me"? Yeah, right.

Stay tuned.

No comments: