Friday, October 19, 2007

Besame Mucho

Once more, I've let my emotions get the better of me. It has been pointed out to me that my last post had a cynical air about it. Sorry about that. If you have been with me from the beginning of my blogging career, you are aware of the ups and downs. And, being the passionate person that I am, my feelings seldom stay on my sleeve; they leap forth into the ether that is the internet.

The deal did fall through. After having the whole family look at the home, they withdrew their offer. Ce la vie. Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not our's to see, que sera, sera. (It's easier to be philosophical about these things with the advent of time. However, at the time, I think I said a few dirty words in my head while understanding noises came out of my mouth.)

But we must move on.

I had a closing this week. One of my easier ones and with a couple of the nicest people. I hope to be able to keep in touch, but I always say that. My first encounter with them was the result of a "cold call" coming into the office to see a couple of condos. I set up the appointment and, since my foot was just recently out of a cast and I couldn't drive, the couple had to pick me up, tote me to the condos then deposit me back.

Sometimes its just the smallest things that can make a difference. When I got into the car with these perfect strangers I said, "Who is your favorite Beatle?" The woman looked at me with a puzzled expression and said, "I don't think I've ever had anyone ask me that before, but I guess it must be Paul. He's the cute one." At which time I reached into my purse and pulled a business card out with Paul's picture on it and handed it to the woman. I truly think that by doing this I stood out amongst the other realtors that they had looked at houses with. They called me back when it was time to look at something else and the rest is history.

Of course, sometimes my schtick backfires.

I met a young couple at a farmhouse in the country for a showing just recently. They got out of the van with a few kids in tow. I walked up to them, introduced myself and asked, "Who is your favorite Beatle?" Again the puzzled expression. After an uncomfortable silence had passed between us, I said, "You know. The Beatles? The singing group." "Ohhhh,"was the reply. "I thought you meant there was a bug on me."

Ce la vie.

No comments: