Monday, October 8, 2007

You Know My Name (Look up the Number)


Okay, you asked for it. Well, not really, but here it is anyway. My first "real" ukulele.
My actual first uke was purchased from ebay for a mere pitance. It lasted about as long as you would expect. Not very.
I came by this one by a happy accident. It is a 1950's Harmony in quite nice condition. I had been sick for about 3 years and was financially embarrassed when my ebay uke fell apart. I had no money to replace it. I was a frequent visitor of http://fleamarketmusic.com/ and had posted a few times. I asked if anyone knew of a way to fix my uke because I was unable to buy a new one. About a week later, a big box came in the mail. I had no idea what it could be. After pulling out a bunch of newspaper, I extracted the above vintage ukulele. I burst into tears. (For those musicians out there, you know how it feels to love an instrument and the joy it brings you to play.) Down in the bottom of the box was a note from the gift giver-a stranger from the Flea Market Music bulletin board. He swore me to secrecy and said that he did it just because he could. I have never forgotten that kindness and will always cherish my 1950's Harmony.
The old Harmony is retired now. But she has about 6 other ukuleles to keep her company.
I became a realtor(r) shortly after I was back up and healthy again. Hence the moniker "Ukulele Realtor". I always have a ukulele close by, even in my office just in case someone asks me to play. (No one ever has:>)
Whenever I do an open house, I take along my "go to" uke-a pink Flea. She's light weight and fun to play and keeps me company when no one shows up to visit my open house. Maybe I am scaring the customers away......
Always remember the kindness of strangers and pass it forward whenever possible.

No comments: