Friday, February 1, 2008

All I've Got to Do

I hate to go on and on about the slump in the housing market, but I will anyway. The economic news has stated that housing starts were at an unprecedented low last year. So what does that mean? It means that builders aren't building because buyers aren't buying. "Housing starts" is not the only way you can tell that the market is down but it is one of those "economic indicators" that economists must use because they can't call all of the real estate companies in the country and say, "Hey! How's business!"

Housing starts is like the unemployment rate, the cost of living, the stock market, the rate of inflation, the gross national product, the national debt, ad nauseum. The bean counters have to count something so they make little charts then count the little dots. I'm not saying that these indicators are not useful, they are. But they can be a bit misleading because they are averages for the country. Every region, state and community are different. Look at Detroit. Car manufacturing has been slipping for decades and the place is drying up and blowing away.

One of Wilmington's economic indicators that I have noticed is a new little subdivision that used to be the hottest thing since sliced bread, canned beer and indoor plumbing. Three years ago, those houses were going up almost overnight and selling just as quickly. They were priced for the upper middle class family and for the upwardly mobile. I drive through that area now and it looks like a ghost town. There is an unfinished street, empty lots full of tall weeds, piles of construction debris, new construction that has never sold and empty homes whose first inhabitants have moved on only to abandon the house to the vagaries of the real estate market.

Gee, I sound like some armageddonist. But if you are going to sell real estate these days, you have to get real (no pun intended) then don't take anything for granted. When things are slow, you don't just sit back and prop your feet up. You must work even harder.

For the first time in my real estate career, I have invested in marketing books. I have always eschewed the inspirational writers and speakers because they sounded so slick and evangelical to me. So one of the books I purchased has true funny stories of sales people's blunders then an analysis of what went wrong. The other book has business letter templates for marketing, prospecting and follow-ups. And...I have actually been using them, not just trying to learn by osmosis.

So far, no good. But if you keep doing what you've always done but expect different results, you are clinically insane. You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just might be a lunatic someone is looking for. And when that time comes, I can proudly stand up and say, "I'm a lunatic! Let me sell your house!"

I think I have internalized the sales blunders. Ooops!

No comments: