Monday, July 30, 2007

Get Back

The real estate market has its ups and downs; no different here at Bennett Realty. 2003 to early 2006 were "wonder years" - everything was hot, unfortunately few bothered to wonder what would happen in the future. The media touted an imminent real estate bubble bursting.

It is difficult, however, when you are in that speeding train to envision it coming to an abrupt halt.

But it is not as though houses have disappeared. They are still here - Clinton County is awash in for sale signs. The influx from DHL's relocation here did not come. Builder's keep building in hopes that someone will want THIS house when no one wanted the last one they just built.

But amid this seeming gloom and doom, I have been rather lucky. Lucky considering that during the "pop" of 2006 I became ill and had to take a leave of absence. I thought I was washed up as a real estate agent. This is a very competitive business so if you stumble, you are bound to get trampled.

So when I came back to Bennett Realty in August of 2006, I was pleasantly surprised when a steady flow of clients came my way. Now, in July 2007, I am finally feeling the pinch.

I'm telling you all of this back story so you will know where we are now.

I have had about 10 closings in the past 10 months. Don't know how that holds up to other agents but for one who fell off the face of the earth for 6 months, I am indeed lucky. The last closing I had was a couple weeks ago. It was a clash of wills from the beginning. It finally ended with the threat of law suit (Bennett Realty was not the cause or influence).

I have 2 transactions in the pipeline right now, both with the same repeat client. We all like repeat business but this particular client nets me less than $500 per closing. He comes to me whenever he is in the market for a new "dump", "piece of crap", or "roach motel". Find out more in my next posting........

No comments: